Saturday, June 14, 2008

One Local Summer - Week 2

I thought this week was going to be a total bust... We were without power for half the week, thanks to some wicked storms. I had a business trip to Chicago - during that power outage - and add to that my kids home from school for their first week of summer break. Meh... who had time to cook or even think about shopping?!? Not I! So, today after baseball games and errands to run, I finally had a moment to think about creating a completely local meal. Most of our day to day ingredients are local - peanut butter, eggs, milk and so on. However, really thinking about each and every ingredient can be challenging!

So, I present to you, after getting really hungry looking at the Green Bean's local graduation platter of sandwiches.... drumroll... Egg salad sandwich on pita with a local brewery beer. Hey, don't knock the beer folks! It's local, less than 30 miles from here and I have 4 boys and it's their playoff season in baseball - some things just go without saying!

My ingredients:

Eggs - East River Organic, Snover, MI
Mustard - Cherry Republic Cherry Mustard, Traverse City, MI
Relish - McClure's Pickles, Royal Oak, MI
Salt - Sea Salt - ???
Lettuce - Local farmer's market, Walled Lake, MI
Pita - Steve's Backroom, Harper Woods, MI
Pilsner - Atwater Brewery, Detroit, MI

11 comments:

Joyce said...

This challenge has been a complete bust for me, because no one has even gotten stuff planted yet, so the cupboard is bare at the farmer's market. There was just an article about it today in the paper. Maybe next week there will be a few things, but a lot of it is going to be a loss this year.

Still I think you are a hero for even thinking of it this week, considering what you've had to deal with!

Green Bean said...

Ohhh, that looks good. All of our egg salad got eaten up by preschoolers. I'll have to make another batch. Give yourself a pat on the back, and another bottle of beer, for getting through what sounds like a verrrry long week.

Joyce, any chance you can find other local food items that aren't produce. I started with produce because it was easier here is California but after doing a local eating challenge last fall, I ended up expanding into locally milled (if not grown) flours (check out the local health food stores), milk, cheese and eggs. Maybe that's unhelpful but I mention it just because I didn't think about things like flour, yeast and such at first. Good luck. I hope some yummy stuff starts showing up at your farmers' markets soon.

EcoBurban said...

Joyce - yeesh, where do you live, poor thing? Here in Michigan we are starting with some very early produce. Until the fruits and veggies come in, what about local eggs, cheese and bread? We also found a mill with pancake mix, that made a great local meal!

GB - I was soooo hungry for sandwiches after reading your post this morning, I couldn't help but steal your idea! Though, I may be second guessing egg salad and beer later in the day! ;o)

Joyce said...

I live in east-central Illinois, and normally there would be lots of things in the farmers market now, but it has rained, and rained, and rained, delaying planting. It was also unusually cool until last week, so the seeds just sat there. Then, the stuff that was coming up just got washed out in the floods. Its a mess. I do have a new source for eggs, though, through a friend's children raising chickens for 4-H. Woo-hoo!

EcoBurban said...

Joyce, what a small world. I grew up in a small town in Northwest Illinois - Amboy. Not too far from Dekalb and Rockford. I had heard about the flooding, rain and diffculties there. No wonder why your market is so scarce!! Best of luck to you!!!!

Gypsy said...

Yumm ... now I REALLY want an egg sandwich!

hmd said...

That looks sooooo good! I love egg salad. No pitas those. I wonder if I could make those. Hmmm...

hmd said...

Ugh. My brain has completely malfunctioned today. What I meant to say, was... "no pitas though" Gee. It's not even a Monday. Have a great week!

EcoBurban said...

Heather - that's right! Mis-spelling is just not allowed on my blog. Ever! Kidding, of course. You even correct your spelling! How nice!

I am lucky enough to live in an ethnic area with many middle easter restaurants. I can get a locally made pita just about anywhere! Probably not 100% organic, but all natural though. It's something my kids and I can agree on. They will eat them without complaining and I can buy local. It's all about compromises! However, I think they win most of the time...

EcoBurban said...

Did you see that! I just made a typo! It should be "eastern" not "easter"! Now, I correct my spelling... Gold star for me! :o)

hmd said...

Our brains are just slowing down for the drudgeries of work this week. :)