Friday, July 4, 2008

Having a Fabulous 4th!

Today is the 4th of July, everyone is still sleeping and the house is quiet. It's a holiday and, for once, I am amazingly calm. I haven't been running around buying all sorts of extravagent treats, red, white and blue cupcakes, packages of hot dogs, cans of soda or paper decorations. I am not stressed over schedules, parties, games and special menus. Shhh... it's a secret, but even I slept in today!
Why? Well, I'm relaxed. We are having a lighter celebration today. I found a lovely "red, white & blue" bread from our local bakery. The red is cherries, the blue is blueberries and the white is the bread. That will make a lovely french toast or snack. We have a freezer well stocked with hot dogs, bacon, steak and hamburger - all local and organic - for grilling whenever we choose. I have eight homemade popsicles all ready to be popped from their molds at a moments notice. Yesterday, I made cookies and enjoyed it because it was really the only chore I had to do. I have potatoes and veggies galore from the Farmer's Market for salads and crunchy snacks. The lemonade is ready, the SIGGs are full, the sun is shining.

What am I waiting for? Today there are no rules. No set time for eating, no set time for relaxing, no schedule, no rigid menu or recipes to fuss over, no watch-glancing. There will be book reading, boat riding and all-around fun without worry. So, get out there, have a happy fourth of July, relax in the sun and recharge your batteries! We all need to do more of that and today's the day!

See you in a day or two with my One Local Summer meal and scenes from 4th of July with 4 boys! Happy 4th everyone!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it nice to have the house to yourself while the family is still asleep? Happy 4th!

Joyce said...

Happy Fourth! Enjoy!

Green Bean said...

Happy 4th!

hmd said...

Have a great fourth!