Wednesday, July 2, 2008

A pretty face just in time for the 4th of July

I changed my facial care routine awhile back, because the idea of the chemicals and plastics that were in my traditional facial care products were pretty much creeping me out. Add to that, the plastic bottles and wrappers they came in and they were pretty much an eco-sin. Though, a good green girl scout that I am, I waited until I squeezed every last drop out of my old products. Waste not, want not!
I was a little nervous about switching. I really didn't want to go to work looking like an adolescent eco 'burban mom. So, I crossed my fingers and held my breath. And?? So far, so good? Maybe even better!

At night I wash with an all natural Earth Mama Goat Milk soap I get from my favorite local soap maker that is wrapped in recycled corrugate - no plastic whatsoever. Then, I apply a nice pomegranate night cream that I got from Burt's Bees in a glass jar. In the mornings I wash with the same soap and use the same cream, but in the day time version - also in a glass jar. I did buy a blemish stick from Burt's Bees in a little glass vial, but haven't really needed to use it yet. From time to time, at that time of the month and even more so in the sweaty summer months, I feel like a 14 year old again. So, I figured I would buy it as cheap $8 insurance.

Overall? I am fairly happy. No crazy break outs or dry, scaly patches. Frankly, though, I have some funky looking pores on my nose that just don't look squeaky clean, so I might invest in the Burt's Bees toner to help that little problem. I have drastically reduced my plastic consumption, all the while switching to natural alternatives for a nice chemical free face. And the cost? Significantly less than my other brand name routine. I know buying all of these products may not seem technically greener, I am sure I could make my own soap and use vinegar as a toner or something, but if this keeps my skin looking nice and clean and is better for the environment, I am rolling with it.

Next on my list? Toothpaste. Any ideas? Wait - any ideas that I can actually get my kids to use too? Wacky bubbling baking soda is NOT going to fly with them!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know you didn't want baking soda, but I have a toothpaste recipe that my family uses daily:

Mix together 6 teaspoons baking soda, 1/3 teaspoon salt, 4 teaspoons glycerin, 15 drops peppermint extract (or wintergreen). This makes a great
tooth paste. Store in a container. You'll be surprised with how fresh your mouth feels.

Also to remove brown stains from your teeth, rub a lemon rind on your teeth and rinse your mouth thoroughly afterward. It works like a charm!

Joyce said...

Okay, I'm a dentist's daughter and you may think I've been brainwashed, but I think you need something with flouride in it. I hear Tom's of Maine has it. Maybe that's worht a try.

ruchi said...

I LOVE Tom's of Maine. And yes, most of their toothpastes do have flouride. They make a Cinnamon and Clove flavor that I heart. They also make a lot of kid friendly toothpastes with fun flavors for them, though most of your boys are probably too old for that.

EcoBurban said...

bobbi - I am not sure how sanitary all of my boys dunking a toothbrush into the same container might be! As it is, I buy a separate tube of paste for each boy to cut down on germ sharing! We find that when they don't share hand towels, bath towels, toothpaste and such, we don't spread colds and flu. I guess I could make small, separate ones. Though, they still probably won't go for it!

Joyce - I might be in the same brainwashed vein... I think flouride is key. And, with 4 kids, I take trips to the dentist very seriously!! I don't want to have cavities and gum problems if I can help it!

Arduous, I was thinking Tom's might be an option, but wasn't sure of the taste. so I appreciate you commenting. I can easily find this at Trader Joes, so when the last tubes run out (I buy in bulk for a family of 6 - they each get their own tube) I think this might be a safe switch.

Chile said...

I can recommend another Tom's of Maine flavor: fennel. It tastes quite different but has one outstanding feature. It will kill your desire to snack for a bit because of the strong flavor (like licorice). Your mouth feels clean and tastes good but not too many other flavors go well with licorice.

Joan said...

Hi, I saw your website on Crunchy Chicken. The title caught my eye being a mom in the 'burbs. I have a problem getting my 15 year old to do anything green. My 11 year old daughter is very into it except for beauty items. She's at that age where she wants all that fragrance added to products.
I don't work for this company or anything but http://www.vitacost.com/ has items much cheaper even with shipping. I usually try stuff first at our local health food store & if I like it I order them vitacost. I use Tom's of Maine toothpaste.

BerryBird said...

I use Tom's of Maine, too. It is a great product, and like other mentioned, they have a lot of unusual flavors for both adults and kids. I remember seeing a strawberry one for kids and thinking--eww, but, whatever gets them to brush, right? Just read the labels carefully if you want flouride, as they make varieties both with and without (the ones with the ADA seal have flouride).