Friday, July 18, 2008

Political Observations of Boys

It's funny, sometimes when you are very, very quiet your kids just forget you're there. That's when you hear the funniest (and sometimes juiciest) things. Today, while driving in my loaner mini-van I overheard my boys having a conversation of which I can only imagine will be exactly how they will sound as old men, sitting on their patio.

Why is the price of gas so high? Look it's $4.29 right over there.

I dunno, I think it's cause of President Bush. Haven't you noticed that gas has gotten higher since he was president?

Yeah, it's cause he owns oil, you know, in Texas on his ranch. He's getting rich right now.

He LOVES oil. Like, tons. That's why we are in that war. And all those guys died. Hey, what woulda happened if Bush died?
Stupid, he would get to pick a vice president to take over.

No, you're stupid. How could he pick a new president if he was DEAD? He already picked one before he was president. That guy would take over. Who is the vice president anyway?

See, I told you that you were stupid. The vice president is Dick Cheney, you know that guy who shot the other guy in the head.

How could he be so dumb to shoot another guy? Seriously. He musta shot him with like a bb gun or something. Otherwise he would SO be in trouble.

No, it was a real gun and the guy he shot bled and everything. He was in the hospital for pretty much years.

Do you think maybe gas will get cheaper once we get Obama or McCain for president? Which one is which anyway?

Duh, they totally look different. How can you not tell? Obama is Hawaiian. McCain is the really old dude.

Well, gas better go down. When we start to drive it's totally going to suck. How are we going to afford gas?

Hey, Mom! What do you think Hillary is doing right now?

I enjoy these conversations, I listen, but I try not to participate. Sometimes you learn so much more by being quiet. What I find most fascinating is they really are absorbing the world around them. Just when I think they're not paying attention... They are actually listening.

There's your inside glimpse of the next generation of environment-changing political activists, dude. They're like, wicked cool.


8 comments:

hmd said...

Oh, that's great! I especially love the comment that it must have been a BB gun that Cheney used, otherwise he'd "so be in trouble." Love it! How old are your boys?

ruchi said...

Haha! I love it!! Your boys sound like so much fun.

EcoBurban said...

heather - Three middle school aged - 6th and 7th graders. The 4 year old is in preschool, so he really has no clue. They are a hoot though, very opinionated already!

arduous - They are fun, but a handful!! I'm sure you can tell. They find their way around everything. Because of my local challenge, they found a local pop - Faygo - so they can still have pop on fridays!

ruchi said...

by the way, I adore your new banner!

Green Bean said...

Priceless. I love all your posts but I especially enjoy these glimpses into the minds of the next generation.

Rebecca said...

They are so right on in their early political musings! Since we have to wait for election for change on a national level, I'm glad that you're part of our green mom task force who are blogging towards a healthier future.

We at greenbabyguide.com would like to personally invite you to join our frugal, eco-friendly blog carnival! Starting on July 24th, any blogger can get a piece of the action by joining our “Thrifty Green Thursday” blog carnival. Just write a post on a simple way that families (or individuals for that matter) can save money while going green on your blog. Then just follow the simple steps below:

1. Post a comment on The Green Baby Guide’s Thursday post and share your blog’s Thrifty Green topic. Readers can click on your name to read your clever frugal tips.

2. Be sure to post a link back to us in your post.

3. If you want, copy the “Thrifty Green Thursday” image onto your Thursday post.

If you have any questions or input, please comment here or email us atgreenbabyguide@gmail.com. Welcome to the carnival!

Melissa said...

I LOVE IT! Isn't it amazing how much they take in without you even realizing it? sounds like they'll be more than ready to vote when they're old enough!

Cindy said...

Very clever for 6th, 7th grade boys. Wonder where they got their ideas ;)

I love kids' conversations when they think the adults are not around. What they come up can be simply amazing. Sometimes I laugh because I can hear them echoing my voices. Occasionally it makes me check myself when I blurt out things.