Friday, July 11, 2008

One Local Summer - Week #6

It's been pretty darn hot outside, but I figure if Heather can make soup every week in the Texas heat, well then, what am I complaining about in Michigan for heaven's sake? I picked a cooler day since I am not running the air for Chile's Challenge and didn't want all that heat trapped inside. My only mistake was actually making Chili. The spices (I like it hot) made me feel a little toasty, but boy was it tasty!

Without further ado, here is my white bean chicken chili with yellow summer squash and smoked Gouda. If you notice, I forgot - again - to take a picture of our actual meal, so you are getting a shot of the remainder of the pot that I froze in containers for a later date. Perfect lunch sized portions to take to the office!


Chicken - Crestwick Farms
Stock - Homemade
Squash, onion, garlic - Farmer's Market
White Navy Beans - Hampshire Farms
Gouda - Grassfields Organics
Flour - Westwind Mill
Cream - Calder's Dairy
Olive Oil, Salt, Pepper, Chile Powder - Not Local

9 comments:

hmd said...

Ooh, girl, that sounds GOOD! I have all those ingredients. I'll have to try it. Yum!

EcoBurban said...

Heather - it was good and so filling too. though, all you have to do is put cheese on something and I will eat it. I LOVE cheese.

The squash was an afterthought. I saw it hanging out at the bottom of the drawer and thought, I could just grate that up and throw it in. How simple! I am thinking I will buy a few more at next week's market and grate them up and put into storage bags and freeze for winter soups.

Debbie said...

Chili sounds good to me almost any time!

hmd said...

I'm ordering a pressure canner to do my soups next so that I don't fill up the freezer. I have no room left. I'll let you know how it goes. Sounds easy enough, but I don't know...

Chile said...

Some say that spicy food is good in the summer because it makes you sweat and that helps cool you down.

Robin said...

That sounds yummy! I hate to flaunt my lack of cooking know-how, but I've never made chili, could you give a quick recipe?

EcoBurban said...

Debbie - I know, chili with cheese on top... I could almost eat it for breakfast!!

Heather - I am running low on freezer space too, we only have a small chest freezer. Though I can get my boys to eat up some of the ice cream and we should be good to go!

Chile - well, I was sweatin' but I am not sure how much good it did! Even my feet were hot!

Robin - I really don't follow much of a recipe for soup. If I have a good stock made, I just start throwing stuff in! This one was about a pound of boneless, skinless chicken browned in olive oil. I removed it and cooked onion, salt, pepper and chile powder for a few minutes and added the grated yellow squash and sauted for a minute or so. Then, I threw in a few tablespoons of flour to coat the veggies cooked it for a few minutes to take the raw taste out. Then added the stock, brought it up to a bubble and added a splash of half and half. Once it thickens add the chicken back in and the beans. The beans I had been soaking overnight in water, cooked for 20 minutes and drained. If corn was in season, I would have added some at this point as well. But, its not time for that yet here, so I just grated some local gouda, threw it on top and chowed down!! I hope that helps, but if you are looking for good soup recipes, I suggest tracking down heather at simple-green-frugal, she's always making some wicked good soups!

hmd said...

Too much ice cream? No problem. I can help with that :)

Jeanne R said...

I'm not the best cook, so I appreciate running by healthy, easy recipes as this one. I think I'll try it. I looked at this just at the right time too since I was just headed out to the farmer's market. Thanks!