Thursday, May 29, 2008

Nifty, nifty and oh, so thrifty

I wasn't a-kiddin' in my post yesterday about having to run out to the thrift store for a pot for one of the oldest eco 'burban boys science projects. He thinks it's a green bean, but the closer I look I am wondering if it's a pea instead. Time will tell I guess and since I am new to the gardening game, it might take me awhile!

My point is, that I did make a run to the thrift store - whereas the old me would have made a run to the closest Target or Lowes. I am finding that the thrift store is not just some place you go to drop off your old pregnancy clothes or outgrown toys. You can shop there too!! I needed the pot, and I found a super cute one for under $3 with it's little attached saucer. I also needed anther glass pitcher - since all scary, chemical-laden plastic pitchers are 'auf wiedersehen'!

While perusing the glass pitchers, I saw the cutest glass cookie jar I could not resist. No, this isn't an addiction, Chile, or even an impulse buy. I have had my eye out for more glass storage containers and it had completely slipped my mind that storage for cookies usually comes in a jar shape. I had made some of green bean's infamous oatmeal chocolate chip cookies the day previous, so I snapped up this jar right away. My total bill for a glass pitcher, ceramic pot w/ saucer and glass cookie jar with lid? $11.63 Reusing perfectly good products? Priceless. What that would have cost me at Target, including gas and other random crap that I threw in my cart - I have no idea. Certainly more than $60, give or take a fiver!

Now, tell me that this "goodies" jar is just not perfect for storing organic, fair trade, local treats?!? And, yes, those are the actual cookies in the jar. I had to snap this picture quick, though.. Once my boys hit the door, it's more like 'auf wiedersehen' to the cookies!
Oh, and if someone can identify that little science project in my thrifty pot up there, I would be giddy...

5 comments:

Chile said...

Well, I guess it's ok as long as you're not cooling the fresh-baked cookies on paper towels or using A/C to cool the house back down after baking! (But, haven't you heard the old adage...make sure you have enough for everyone? Where's my cookie?! *grin*)

EcoBurban said...

No 'Mam - I wouldn't dream of turning on the AC or tearing even a teeny half-sheet of paper towel. Not even to wipe the crumbs from my chinny, chin, chin! If you want a cookie you better hurry... My boys have been in that jar. Ok, so I admit, I have had my hand in the cookie jar too. mmm, mmm good!

ruchi said...

Cookie jar! Awesome. You better watch out. If word gets out that you're the mom with fresh baked cookies in the cookie jar, soon all the kids will be hanging out at Casa d'Eco Burban, not just your sons!

Sphere Trending said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Green Bean said...

Cute jar! And it won't be found in every other house on your block. That's what I love about thrift stores versus Target - stuff there is unique.